So I’m 5’2″ and my pre-pregnancy size was zero. I’m what people would kindly describe as petite. I also have a very short torso. What it all basically adds up to is that I need choose styles that are more fitted and tailored. This was definitely the case before and even more so now that I’m pregnant.
Dress: Old Navy (size petite xs); This is one of my favorite maternity dresses. It’s nice and fitted on top and the skirt portion is slim and not full. I also have it in black. ;)
When I started shopping for maternity clothes, one of the first things I noticed was how difficult it was to find clothes that would fit my small frame. Not only were a lot of the sizes too big, but many maternity clothes were billowy, loose, and shapeless. For someone who is tiny with a growing belly, these weren’t good styles and made me look twice as big. Um, no thank you.
After some trial and error and experimenting on my part, here are some tips and advice for petite sized pregnant women:
- Invest in a couple of chic belts to help cinch tops and dresses that are less fitted.
- Stick to styles that worked for you pre-pregnancy. I guarantee you there is a maternity version of it that will accommodate your growing bump.
- Just because you’re pregnant doesn’t mean your clothes need to get looser as you get bigger. Your body is going through some beautiful changes. Show off your new curves with some fitted clothes.
- In early pregnancy, you wear the same size in maternity clothes as you did before pregnancy (ie: if you were a size small before, you’re a size small in maternity clothes). Size up accordingly from there as your pregnancy progresses.
- Try to keep a balance of tight and loose. If you’re wearing a less fitted top, wear skinny jeans or leggings. If you’re wearing pants or skirts that are looser, make sure your top is a tighter fit.
- No one says you have to buy maternity clothes. You can find non-maternity clothes that fit you and your bump perfectly and all you may need to do is just size up. Good options would be tops and dresses that are empire waist, wrap style, or made in a stretchy cotton fabric.
Also, don’t forget to check and see if certain stores or maternity clothing lines have petite sizes. Old Navy, which is a great place for inexpensive and cute maternity clothes, has petite maternity sizes and I love their fit.
Hope you found his helpful and please share your favorite place to buy and order maternity clothes! I’m going to need to start buying some more clothes soon. ;)
19 weeks this week! (Thank you window light for making my arm look oddly skinny.)
P.S. Check out my Maternity Style Pinterest board for some inspiration!
SHOP THIS LOOK: